Montreal, Canada based practice EM architecture have transformed a 1900’s 4-plex property into a duplex, single-family home. The existing two-storey building was half abandoned and needed complete renovation. The designers have completely gutted the interior space and modified the complete structure.
From the architects, “The layout is articulated around a new central opening, 6’ wide and extending the full width of the house crowned by a linear skylight also the full 45’ width, which provides ample natural light to the central spaces. A palette of light colors and the omnipresence of wood contribute to the brightness and warmth of the space. Upstairs, the opening separates the children’s area from the parents’ bedroom.
An addition at the rear provides access to the basement and delineates a private outdoor terrace. The wood volume above the dining room extends upstairs and overhangs to the outside set in contrast with the concrete board cladding of the addition. The front façade was restored to its original character with new brickwork, balconies and cornice.”